Microsoft unveiled Power BI for Office 365. Power BI for Office 365 brings self-service BI solutions to everyday business users through the familiar tool they already use – Excel.
Combining the familiarity of self-service BI capabilities in Excel with the ability to host interactive workbooks and data views in Office 365, Power BI for Office 365 includes critical functionality that enables customers to easily connect to their data inside and outside their organizations. Additionally, customers can share updates with their colleagues in real time and on mobile devices, interact with their data in new ways to gain faster insights and manage their work more effectively. New capabilities include:
- A Data Management Gateway which enables IT to build connections to on-premise data sources and schedule refreshes. Business users always have the most up to date reports, whether on their desktop or over their device.
- BI Sites, dedicated workspaces optimized for BI projects, which allow business users to quickly find and share data and reports with colleagues and collaborate over BI results.
- Real-time access to BI Sites and data no matter where a user is located via mobile devices. Customers can access their data through the browser in HTML5 or through touch-optimized mobile applications for Windows 8, Windows RT, Surface and iPad devices.
- A natural language query experienced called Q&A which allows users to ask questions of their data and receive immediate answers in the form of an interactive table, chart or graph.
- New capabilities which allow more active users or data stewards to manage and monitor the data views created for their individual and team’s analysis.
The public preview of Power BI for Office 365 will be available this summer